Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What I Talk About When I Talk About Dogs

I spotted a good piece of advice in a magazine: "Get a dog. Even geniuses need some unconditional love." Not that genius warrants much love anyway. But in one of those rare moments of clarity, a hybrid of epiphany and prescience, I saw how it will all turn out:

I'm 40, living alone with my dog.
I laugh a lot these days, whether at his antics or at my life.
One day, I walk him in a park.
We pass by a somewhat attractive lady and her dog.
The dogs bark at each other. The owners laugh.
We sit on the bench, talk about our dogs.
Turns out she's a genius who needed some unconditional love.
We exchange numbers.
Walk our dogs together sometimes.
Everytime.
Her dog passes away.
I offer unconditional love.
She doesn't need unconditional love.
She gets another dog.

P.S. Screw dogs, I'm getting me a unicorn. At least they're good for sniffing out virgins.

P.P.S. I realise I already have a dog, since life's a bitch. Best to stop at one.

1 comment:

  1. can anyone love unconditionally, all the time?

    no, because acquiring such love is a process. it is the most important journey of life.

    what is important is unconditional forgiveness between people committed to developing the ideal of unconditional love, when we inevitably fall short of it and step on each others toes.

    loving the blog as always!

    ReplyDelete