Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lullaby of an Insomniac

I have great difficulty sleeping. My mind just can't turn off thinking, especially in bed. I have some of my best ideas in bed. In fact, it feels as if I would write like the best book ever if I could channel my stream-of-consciousness in bed. Maybe someone will invent a machine that converts thoughts to text in my lifetime. And then everyone will start writing awesome stream-of-consciousness blogs that make no sense to anyone else. Maybe that's why no one will invent such a machine.

That's when the conundrum struck me—does the state of being in bed prime me for higher quality of cognition, or does it lead me to believe my quality of cognition is higher? There might indeed be no fair way of telling, even if the aforementioned device was built. Or perhaps these thoughts were just inceived in me by someone with higher quality of cognition. Better get a totem soon then.

P.S. I was going to write a log of my thoughts in bed, but that was too difficult, so I wrote my thoughts of my thoughts in bed instead, just as Borges wrote reviews of books he found too difficult to write (Chen, 2009).

P.P.S. It is a happy serendipity that all the people I intend to or might intend to cite have different surnames; thus there is no ambiguity. If not, the quality of cognition and other lexical klues ought to identify the speaker.

P.P.P.S. That or I have too few friends.

P.P.P.P.S. Who share my love of postscripts.

1 comment:

  1. P.P.P.P.P.S. You're not alone in the obsession with postscripts. Say hello to your ghost friend for me the next time you see her ;)

    ReplyDelete